13 September 2019

Upgradeitis - Garmin Edge 530


I have been using Garmin GPS devices since 2007. I have had a number of them from hand held devices, watches and cycling specific computers. 
When I saw the release of the Garmin Edge 530 it ticked a lot of boxes for me. Finally after a summer of working and justifying (to myself) replacing my Garmin 510 I ordered one through The Bike Lab

Why did I change?

Mostly because I wanted better navigation/maps and I liked the look of the integration with Trailforks. 

First impressions 

The unit looked fantastic although I wasn't sure on the start/stop and lap button placement (I need not have worried). 
The unit startup is significantly faster than all of my previous units. 
Setup was simple as was connection with my phone. 
The screen is clear and now not a touch screen like my Edge 510 so I can wipe the dirt off when riding. 
The unit now has a sensor pool so that when I switch bikes it doesn't matter about what sensors I have on the bike or selecting the right bike to pick up the correct sensor. 

After using the unit for a couple of weeks what are my thoughts. 

The Garmin Edge 530 provides a lot of data, significantly more than my previous Edge 510. 
When connected with a heartrate monitor I can get a respiration rate. It tells me what my workout was doing for me. Aerobic or Anaerobic. It also suggests hydration and feed rates during the ride based on temperature and exertion. 
more data than I will ever need
Post workout it also suggests a recovery time. I will say I mostly ignore these :) 
After two laps of Bluff, I think not Garmin

Navigation - I have only used this once so far but I was impressed. It was a significant improvement over the course following on my 510. It warns of junctions as you approach them and puts up a map with the road name (although some of the road names are different when in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma). I believe It will also navigate to places but I haven't tried that yet. 

To add a route/course you use the Garmin Connect website to create it or import the route if you have a file. The route can then be added via a cable connection to the computer or through the Garmin Connect app and a phone. I think if I paid for a Strava account I would be able to add routes through that via my phone directly but since I don't have that sort of account I haven't looked into it. 

I have yet to fully utilise the Trailfork function but when you stop at a junction it switches screens to show you the trails that are around you which is fantastic, or will be when I get to new trail areas. 
Ahhh so that is where I am :)
Battery life seems pretty good but I have yet to test it like I did with my computers in Alaska. I can confirm my previous computers Edge 705, 500 and 510 all worked down to around -20F although the screens did get a little sluggish. This computer can also be charged via any power brick on the go unlike my Edge 500. 

Overall for me this is a fantastic addition to my bike and riding information gathering. I am sure if I follow the information that it gives me I will become a stronger rider.  Will I do that? That is yet to be seen but I will try to keep ontop of my hydration and nutrition at least. 
Should you buy one, absolutely it is quite simply, brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment