15 September 2019

TDD - Blackwell Beatdown - 15th September 2019

Another week another race and boy was it a hot one! Sure it wasn't as hot as last weeks and we were fooled into thinking it may be cooler with the shade however there was very little breeze in the trees and I definitely over heated.

Lake Carl Blackwell

Lake Carl Blackwell is near Stillwater and has a 5mile ish singletrack loop which has a little bit of everything. There are a couple of rock drops, a flow section, a little climbing, loose turns on the pine needles and even a dual slalom course. I really enjoy riding there as it ticks a lot of boxes. The newly opened section is a great addition too.
Looking back at the new wooden feature
- photo from preride

My Race

As usual we set off at 1 million miles/hour, I maintained pace down the dual slalom but as we turned the corner and headed up to the finish line I was spit out of the back. Oh well time to individual time trial again and see what I could salvage from the race. I did manage to pass a guy on lap one and we rode similar pace through to the end of the lap where he blasted away from me on the climb up to the finish. I saw him briefly on the remaining laps through the trees, it was nice to have someone to and chase. 
The course was a fun one and I thought I was doing ok on laps one, two and even the first half of lap three then I started to get some twinges in the legs which went on to full cramps on lap four.  
The great news is I finished. Although I definitely didn't finish strong with some good old leg cramps on lap four. I did use bottles with EFS which has been previously working great. I also took a shot of pickle juice during my last lap which although helped i'm sure. Even so I still had to walk a couple of sections on the last lap. Oh well keep working on that whole nutrition and hydration strategy until I get a perfect solution. 

Oooophs crampy lap four
We only have two races left in the season and I have no idea where I am points wise. Today I finished last again which was 6th place I think. I am unsure if I will race next weekend as I have a gravel race on Saturday and the course is another technical one, though I do really like that. The last race of the season is at Turkey Mountain in Tulsa which I am sure will be tough.  

The Strava



No comments:

Post a Comment