13 September 2019

TDD - Western Okie - 8th September 2019

After a summer off from mountain biking and well any real biking for me I knew that the remainder of the TDD series was going to be a tough call, four races in four weekends, I really shouldn't have taken the whole summer off. But I did and life goes on. 

Kids Cup

As with previous events Fiona is the first in our family to race, her warmup/sighting lap didn't go well. There was a kid in front of her who kept crashing and it pretty much wiped out any confidence she had. Oh well live and learn, next time I will ride that lap with her.
The course consisted of a grass climb, a dirt/rock singletrack section with a tough push up then a little more singletrack before a grass descent to the finish. Her age group did two laps.
Top of the first climb

Although she wasn't wanting to race after the practice, she did line up and race and ended up taking home 6th place. Her second lap was a significant improvement over her first one as she gained confidence on the course, more practice next time I hope.

6th Place and a bag of swag! 


The Course

People think that its flat out west and in most of Oklahoma to be honest however, my legs were destroyed after the race. There wasn't a lot of elevation change on the course however there was a lot of power sapping grass, rocks and a few ups that I couldn't ride up. I even had to walk one small drop as I completely had a mental block on riding it lap one and didn't improve that on lap two. 

The first part of the course took us across the dam, then we were into a section called the pits which had all the steep ups and downs. After that is was mostly a double track around the lake with some soft sandy corners. We then crossed a metal bridge after which followed a sandy singletrack section which was my favourite part on the course. We then had around 1.5miles to the finish on some more singletrack with a couple of steep downs. 

My race

To reiterate I really hadn't been riding over the summer with travelling and camping so my expectations were low for the race. It was also warmer than I like it to be when racing, however I have at least been riding some evenings in the heat so that I was less worried about. Due to the heat, our race was shortened and I was thankful for this. At the previous race I actually started to feel like my racing was coming together, sure I didn't get close the the podium but at least I was racing with people..

The race on Sunday didn't feel like that at all. Almost as soon as we started I was way off the back.  Oh well, I pushed the pace for my solo ride around the lake two times. At the end of the first lap, a Single Speeder caught and passed me, they started 10 min behind me, next one of my teammates Jeremy Black and a guy he was racing caught me along the dam. I pushed on as hard as my legs would take me and set a new Heart Rate Threshold rate according to training peaks, I haven't updated it. :)
Errrmmm yey?

The best thing from the race, finishing my second lap to the cheers of Amanda and Fiona.
The last technical section.

It was a tough one for me and they stuck it out in the heat to cheer me on which I really appreciate.
Where did I finish? 4th place which is my best TDD result ever though there were only four people in my category.
Yep it was a tough one for me.

Great racing by Eric, Victor and Chad.

Due to the four races in four weeks I can foresee a similar couple of races coming up. Oh well pedal on and keep trying.

The Strava


No comments:

Post a Comment