24 November 2014

Frigid Bits Ice Crit 22nd November 2014

Following on from this post the weather still sucks but some riding opportunities have opened up

We (I was there for two pre rides), by which I mostly mean Kevin, Carlos and Fish organised a Frigid Bits Ice Crit.
The burn barrel
The course looks a little like this on a GPS track, it was marked out with flour on the ice.
Ice Crit course
As can be seen there were a lot of turns, when we first arrived the course was super slick even by ice standards, as we rode the course more the grip improved or maybe we just got better at sliding around.

The turnout was impressive for such an underground event, the burn barrel was warm and the adult beverages tasty.  I didn't get many photos, I'm still working out this new camera but here is what I did get.

All lined up and ready to go
Start of beginner race
First corner madness
Light trails
A Tandem with lights
Sparklers to signify last lap
Drag Racing
Drag race finish
What its difficult to see in that photo was Kevin pretty much smoked the field whilst on his back wheel yes that is right he did a wheelie for most of the drag race and still won!
Tandem with Christmas lights
Fabulous Frigid Bits Burn Barrel
Burning to keep warm like a bunch of hobos
I had a blast racing though I am fully aware that fat studs are good they don't provide enough traction when racing people on regular studded tyres.  Therefore I have a plan, next time I am going to use a different bike, racing on ice requires more studs which is why on Tuesday for the next event  (XC race) I will be riding my Giant Trance with Ice Spiker Pro tyres!
Ice tyres should have a little more traction.
Until next time take care all.


No comments:

Post a Comment