20 October 2019

Rock the Mohawk- OKGPCX - 20th October 2019

This weeks exciting cross race was held in Mohawk park in Tulsa. Read all about last weeks race here

The course

I really enjoyed the course, it reminded me of the courses I used to race in Alaska at Kincaid park.  We started partway around the course so I will do the course description from the finish line. 
From the finish line we had a couple of 180 degree turns then a run up with railway sleepers to force the run up. Next it was into a 90 degree right and then a 180 degree left onto an off camber section with sweeping turns onto a straight paved section (this was where we started). After the straight we turned back through some fast turns under some big trees. Next was a 180 degree turn into an off camber section with a few more 90 degree turns for good measure.
Following this there was a short flat section with some more 90 and 180degree turns into a short climb with a 180 degree turn before dropping into a sand pit. A few more sweeping turns, into another 180 turn, then onto a bridge and we hit some singletrack before heading into more tight turns up and down a small incline then it was through a couple of small ditches before a few more tight turns under trees and around to the finish line. 

Fiona's Race

Fiona didn't have a good day, I think that she overheated but she could also be fighting a bug of some sort. She wasn't feeling great before the race and toughed out one lap then called it a day. It was so sad to see how upset she was at the end. I'm just proud she started. 

My Race

I was not expecting much from this race, I have had a few heavy days of training on Thursday, Friday then on Saturday I rode the G3 race 3 (read about it here). I did manage to get a preride of the course in and I'm glad I did, at least knowing there was a singletrack section helped. They did the call ups for the riders with the most points so far in the series and we filled in the space after this. Then we were off. I was not trying for the wholeshot (who am I kidding I don't have the legs for that). But come the end of the first straight I was somewhere near the back. 
I spy pink socks

I think I am in 19th here

We hit the off camber section where someone ahead of me (Cody I think) hit the deck. We all managed to get past him ok and soon enough we were into the sand section. I had tried and failed to ride this in practice but thinking what a shit show it was likely to be in lap one I wasn't to worried about riding it. Coming into the sand I saw an opening, I chanced my luck at riding it and passed around 3 people, I was now feeling pretty good about riding the sand.
I was pushing pretty hard to stay ahead of the guys behind me and lost the wheel of the guy in front of me, oh well. Next was the singletrack section and as we left that I had lost the guys behind me but still not caught the guys in front. I was then passed by Cody, I guess don't leave any opening as people will take that gap. I chased hard but didn't want to go to deep to early. 
Chasing always chasing
this is the start of lap 2 I think

I chased hard and caught back up to people just after we went up the steps for the first time. I did almost hit the deck though going up the steps. 
Feeling good

Oh no miss step

Lets hope this works

Sometimes you get lucky

On lap two I was getting into my stride and passed a couple of people, I passed a couple more on lap three. When I passed Sheridan, I'd forgotten that there was a hole on the course on the side I was going to pass him on, fortunately I was able to bunnyhop it. My race seemed to go pretty well after this.
Sure my dismount technique is still terrible. 
Hand order Nick! 
but I at least still use my tongue to balance. 
Tongue balance is key!
I was able to ride the sand on all but the last two attempts and I loved the corners. I ended up in 12th place which is way better than I was expecting. I think on less tired legs I could have made the top 10. I will say that I was fortunate that Seth hit the deck on the last lap as I was unsure I was going to be able to catch him. 
It is horns up for Oklahoma isn't it?
Horns Up for Oklahoma right?

Go me 12th place

The Strava


No comments:

Post a Comment