27 October 2019

Amateur Cross - OKGPCX - 27th October 2019

Another week another cross race in the Tulsa area.

This week we ventured to Chandler Park in North West Tulsa. The park sits on top of a hill but fortunately the course was mostly flat. 
We had a significant amount of rain on Thursday and Friday. This for me is always a worry with regards to riding off road, as the ground here has lots of clay in it, so it doesn't drain well and as it starts to dry out it gets super tacky.

The course

The course was around 1 mile in length. The start was not part of the main course, we started on a paved section with a 90 degree left turn into a hill where we cut out a section of course on the first lap. 
From the finish line we headed into a 180 degree left hand turn and back slightly up hill to a 180 degree right which was squared off. There was then bumpy down hill section into a left and slightly uphill section. We then did some weaving in and around an open area before a drop down then climb back up. Next was the first wooded section with more twists and turns before we hit a little singletrack section then it was out across a long power sapping straight, through a chicane and ditch and into some more woods. We twisted and turned in the woods then popped out onto a paved section of trail before a short climb into an off camber section of the course before a big mud section and onto the finish straight.

Fiona's race 

Fiona was the only girl present in her age group and got to start with the boys in the Junior 9-14 age group. She got a good start but was at the back of that group by the first turn. 

Due to the drying nature of the course the juniors got the short end of the course, the mud was as tacky as it would get all day. 
The mud Fiona was dealing with. 

Fiona plugged away at the course but was having to walk a couple of sections, due to mud build up. 
Cheering her on whilst she rode the course. 

Maybe next year we will get her on a cross bike which should cut through the mud a little better. 
She completed one lap and was pulled, it had taken her 18min. 
Finish line and exhausted

On the plus side though, she did make the top step of the podium and at this race she actually won money. 
Podium :)

My Race

Once the call up's were out of the way, I was on the second row we were off. The charge down the course to the first corner was as frantic as ever and I hung back a little to avoid any pileups. We crossed up and over the little hillock and joined the main course, through the mud holes and across the finish line it was all pretty frantic for the first part of the lap as people jostled for position. I was sitting around 15th place I think but the guys on the front hadn't dropped us yet, that soon changed though. 
I got behind a guy and we rolled around the course, the guy wasn't going as quickly as I wanted to so I put a little effort in and passed him. Over the course of the next nine laps to the finish I proceeded to pick my way through the field ahead of me. My legs felt good throughout the race and I found the course fun to ride, it wasn't technical and there was no dismount to deal with. It was a lot easier than what Fiona had to race on that is for sure. 
In the end I was out sprinted and ended up in 8th place, which I am totally stoked with. 
Seth beating me into 8th Place

Unfortunately I can't make the next race but I am looking forward to the final round of the series in Stillwater. Hopefully my legs feel as good as today and I can get another top 10 position. 

Also Amanda filmed most of my race, here it is.


The Strava


No comments:

Post a Comment