30 January 2019

Back racing again.... this time it is on gravel

This weekend I will be taking part in my first gravel race in Oklahoma. The race is called the Oklahoma Gravel Growler and is based out of Shawnee, OK which is around 1 hour from where I live. 

I have only ever raced two gravel events (Green Lake Gravel race report) so it will be interesting to see how the event here compares to them. Hopefully less bear encounters at this event. 

The event has two course options, long  (83 miles) or short (31 miles) and a ultra running event which follows the short course. I'm signed up for the long event. Looking at the distance, I have worked out it will be my longest ride since the 3rd October 2018 where I did a lot of wheel sucking and before that my longest ride last year was the Su100 back in February 2018. I am hopeful I will be able to find a few people to ride with so as to minimise the pain/effort. 

Looking ahead at the weather guesses, it seems its going to be warm with temperatures starting at around 50 and rising to 60 with a southerly wind of anywhere from 10-25mph which should make things interesting for the return. 

The route heads north ish for around 25 miles which means the return will be roughly 25 miles of headwinds. 
Route in Garmin

I'm using this event as a training ride for the Landrun 100 in March, so it'll be more testing of gear, food and hydration strategies. I will also try and work out how courses work on my Garmin as I never used them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment