20 January 2019

419 race report

And that is a wrap, I have completed my first MTB race in Oklahoma. 
As is usual with my races I went into the race with a plan and almost totally failed to execute it. My plan was to try and keep my heart rate in zones 3-4 and have consistent lap times. 
The race started with a LeMans style start, I was definitely not thinking when I placed my bike towards the back of the field. I can also tell I have not been running recently, as I got onto my bike my HR was already in zone 5. My heart rate stayed high throughout the race (ave 170, max 188) though at least it was consistently high :)

For the second goal, I am pretty happy with my execution although I did slow towards the second part of the race, some of this was due to the course changing on laps 4, 5 and 6 where it had thawed a little and turned into a slip and slide in sections. The plus tyres were awesome on the dry sections however in the muddy sections they were lacking in traction which meant I was losing lots of speed through the corners.

Muddy bike

I think this is the dirtiest this bike has ever been.

At the end of lap 6 I was out sprinted to the line to roll though with seconds to spare to get in a 7th lap. The guy who beat me to the line decided not to do a 7th lap even though he too beat the clock. I on the other hand although tired decided that I could manage another lap and hence finish on the same lap as the winner, albeit down by 48min and 32 seconds. This meant that I finished in 8th place which I was not expecting. 

All in all it was a fun race and although I would have preferred to have been riding my Epic, the fat bike on plus tyres performed very well. I am very tired now, however I am sure I would have been almost as tired if I was riding my Epic. Roll on the season, this was a fun way to kick off the season.

Right after this was taken I tagged a tree :)
- Photo credit Celestial Cycles


Would you look at that. 

Lap Data

Lap 1 - 176bpm ave HR - Lap Time 40:55.3 - Strava time 39:03
Lap 2 - 175bpm ave HR - Lap Time 40:35.2 - Strava time 39:43
Lap 3 - 175bpm ave HR - Lap Time 41:52.2 - Strava time 40:35
Lap 4 - 173bpm ave HR - Lap Time 43:19.3 - Strava time 42:27
Lap 5 - 171bpm ave HR - Lap Time 45:49.8 - Strava time 44:42
Lap 6 - 166bpm ave HR - Lap Time 46:33.2 - Strava time 45:35
Lap 7 - 157bpm ave HR - Lap Time 48:54.9 - Strava time 47:28

Strava because otherwise it didn't happen. 


1 comment:

  1. Heck yea! Great job out there and keep up the blogs. Love reading them:)

    ReplyDelete