21 September 2019

G3 Race 1 - Guthrie to Cashion and back

What a race!

A little background

The G3 race series (3 races) was set up to allow people to train in preparation for entering the Landrun 100. The initial thought was that you would do the races which get progressively harder course wise than decide if you feel you are up to the Landrun 100 in March. 
Landrun 100 then moved their signup date to coincide with the first G3 race. Oh well, the start was pushed 15min so that we would have time to register. I am not sure how quickly LR100 filled up but I am guessing it was within minutes again.

So about that Landrun 100

I was fortunate that I had Amanda signing me up again for LR100. This year I was on the start line, (last year I was out riding) and it took the pressure off me knowing that she was doing it.
On LR100 this year I have decided to do the double.

What is the double I hear you ask?

It's a 50km run on Friday followed by the 100mile ride on the Saturday with the masses. It is I am sure going to be brutal but, on the plus side I will have some friends joining me to do it. Amy Sebby who suggested I should do it and Oscar Lage who joined me for LR100 last year. We have lots of time to train so if any of my friends would like to join the three of us, sign up and start training now, Brant I'm talking to you.

Back to the G3

After the delayed start so we could attempt to register, at 08:15 we set off and the pace was hot!
Ray I think giving the announcements 

Front row looking back

My legs felt good though, so I pushed the pace and soon I  was in a pretty solid group and absolutely flying! We were working well together through the field section and for the next 15 or so miles. 
pace was quick

One of the few cars we saw

At around mile 25 I was dropped out of that group which was unfortunate as the next two miles were into a headwind.... 
Spot the group they are way way up there

Sad face 
Next thing I know I am being passed.
Oh shit I need to get that wheel!
I stashed my phone and jumped onto a wheel. We worked well and rode significantly faster than I would have gotten into the aid station at mile 32. As we arrived at the aid station we had caught the group I had been with who were just leaving the aid station. Unfortunately I needed to fill my bottles and they didn't so lost that group. Oh well I waited for the next group to share some of the load into the wind. The husband of the couple (John I think) had aero bars and was a great draft, the wife (Rhonda I think) was a strong rider too. So strong that they both dropped me after the beer station. 
Husband and wife couple
We now had around 18 miles to go but I was feeling the onset of crampy legs, I ate some more food and drank some more fluids but knew they would get me eventually. 
As I started riding down to Liberty lake, I hear my name being called. It was my friend Simon Lynn.  He and his friend were riding well and promptly dropped me on the hill before we turned into the singletrack. 
By Simon and group
Fortunately for me, they missed a turn and I ended up leading through the singletrack section. That was the best bit of the whole course! It felt just like a cross course back in Alaska with Simon chasing me down :) We rejoined the road and I got dropped again by this group. 
Getting dropped by Simon... again :) 
Then I had my left leg cramp up.  So much so, I had to get off the bike and stretch it out. I drank my pickle juice and managed to get going again. I got a little more relief as we did the pirate section of the course and walked the plank. 
Plank walked
Then I hear a train, I checked my map, I need not have bothered, I knew I had to cross the tracks. Oh well a little break won't hurt me. 
Yup that is a train 
I set off again soft pedalling so as not to cramp up, this is especially hard when you are trying to balance through sand pits along the road. Then I hear a voice, it was Kris my teammate who has caught back up to me. 
He very kindly soft pedalled with me all the way to the finish. 
Riding with teammates is awesome!
I finished in around 3hrs 56min. Aside from the cramps this race was a total blast. Great course, terrible headwind, great tailwind, smiles all around. 
I am also happy that my friend Phillip Banta rode the race and had a blast too. Hopefully I can get my self organised and get out on some training rides with him. 

The Strava else it didn't happen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment